ESGA is the only Governor’s Association supporting all Governors in Essex; it has been doing so since 1994.
ESGA works closely with Essex Governor Services, but we are a fully independent association of governors affiliated to the equally independent National Governors Association.
Your views are our views, and we can make sure that your views are heard and responded to. Indeed, one of our main functions is to ensure that governors’ views are fully recognised and taken into account at our regular meetings with the Cabinet Minister for Essex Education and the Director of Learning
Our links with school governors are through our newsletter, at Communication Meetings, Conferences and this Website.
As we develop this website it is our aim to help you to find out the things you need to know, to exchange views with and learn from other governors, and to express your views on the educational issues of today and tomorrow.
There are links to many educational sites. Whether you are a new governor trying to find your feet, an old hand seeking advice on a tricky problem this website aims to put you in touch with colleagues and professionals who can help.
We would like to increase our on line resources so If our site doesn’t give you the answer you need, let us know and we will endeavour to build coverage in for the future.
Essex school governors are a vital part of the governance of our schools whether they are community, foundation, VA, special or academy; being a governor can appear an onerous, even daunting task. Sharing together we can be much stronger than we are in isolation. Our hope is that this website will ease that burden through sharing more, and help us all achieve more for our schools and the children and young people in them.
- To be an independent, democratic forum for all Governing Bodies.
- To assist Governing Bodies to further the interests and education of children and young people.
- To promote the highest possible standards of School Governance.
- To maintain links with Governors Services and Governor Training
- To further good relationships with the local authority and other relevant agencies.
- To provide a coherent voice for Governors when making representation and a vehicle for expressing collective views of Governing Bodies on matters of common concern at local, regional and national level.
- To encourage co-operation and the sharing of good practice between schools and Governing Bodies.